|Published||January 1, 2023|
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have an opening for a Virtual Reality (VR) and Visualization expert to join our team as a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on VR analysis in additive manufacturing and help advance the discipline as well as apply cutting-edge tools and techniques to some of society's most important problems. You will work in a multi-disciplinary team consisting of interaction researchers, and domain scientists in areas such as digital twin development, material science, or additive manufacturing. You will also have the opportunity to engage in a variety of related research projects in machine learning, interaction design, or computational geometry. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
* Research, develop, apply, and evaluate interactive visualization methods in virtual reality.
* Actively engage with subject matter experts to jointly explore the potential for VR to solve domain-specific challenges.
* Publish findings in top conferences (e.g. VIS, EuroVis, VR, ISMAR) and research journals (e.g. TVCG and CGF).
* Participate in the establishment of future research directions and contribute to group grant proposals, including proposal presentations and preparation of proposals that will provide future research opportunities in the field.
* Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Ph.D. in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related field.
* Experience with virtual reality development or at least one graphics library, such as OpenGL, DirectX, etc.
* Experience with common UNIX tools, i.e. version control, workflow tools, etc.
* Ability and desire to obtain substantial domain knowledge in fields of application in order to communicate effectively with subject matter experts, and to identify novel, impactful applications of VR and visualization.
* Demonstrated ability to conduct high-quality research and to develop implementations to evaluate the results.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multi-disciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
* Experience with C/C++ and application development.
* Experience with Game Engines, such as Unity or Unreal Engine.
* Experience in working with large-scale volumes and meshes.
* Experience in working with large and diverse teams including guiding junior researchers.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
* Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
* Flexible Benefits Package
* Education Assistance
* Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch