Transition Services Specialist (VR Service or Rehabilitation Specialist)
|Published||March 13, 2023|
We have a rare Transition Services Specialist available in the Scottsbluff VR office! These positions collaborate with high school students with disabilities to prepare them for life after school - you have the opportunity to make an impact on students as they determine what their future looks like for them!
This position will allow you to use your creativity while working with the student population in a variety of school environments and other educational entities! This team is a cohesive group supporting each other and focused on students and providing quality services. It's independent work but everyone is willing to help out in this great work culture!
The salary range for this position is dependent on education.
* VR Service Specialists (requires a bachelor's degree in related fields) are hired within a salary range of $16.752 - $19.262 per hour
* VR Rehabilitation Specialists (requires a master's degree in related fields) are hired within a salary range of $20.743 - $24.200 per hour
These ranges are based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate's skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.
* Promotional Opportunity: Employees will be hired as a Service or Rehabilitation Specialist with the expectation of being promoted to a Senior Specialist after the successful completion of two years of successful employment. This includes an increase in your hourly wage!
In addition to being part of meaningful work and making a difference through public service, our Total Compensation package includes an additional$20,700 - $24,200 in Benefits value! This includes:
* Hybrid work locations and workplace flexibility
* Stable employment and hours with regular salary increases
* Thirteen paid holidays per year
* Competitive benefits, paid time off, and retirement
* 79% employer-paid health insurance with four plans and coverage levels to choose from
* Dental, vision, long and short-term disability, flex spending and health savings accounts, employee assistance program, employee discount program, and more!
* Generous vacation and sick leave earnings each year (starting at 12 days each!), plus a variety of other leave types
* 156% state-matched retirement (yes, that's $1.56 for every dollar!) with a guaranteed 5% return
* $20,000 term life insurance at no cost to you, with additional supplemental life insurance options
* Wide variety of professional development opportunities
* NEW Dependent Tuition Reimbursement Program with six Nebraska community colleges!
EEO: NDE is committed to advancing equity, inclusiveness, and diversity in all that we do. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we encourage applications from ALL qualified candidates and assure they will receive consideration for this position regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Examples of Work
* Visits high schools to provide career exploration services and work readiness skills training to high school students with disabilities. Provides education related to resumes, applications, and interviewing skills.
* Assesses students to identify strengths, barriers, vocational interests, aptitude, skills, preferences, and values.
* Demonstrates beneficial soft skills (e.g., timeliness, dependability) and advises students in informed decision making, interpersonal, and vocational skills. Develops engaging, educational, and interactive activities.
* Assists students with strengthening their self-advocacy skills related to their disabilities.
* Arranges job exploration activities such as informational interviews, job shadows, work-based learning experiences, etc.
* Develops and maintains relationships with students, parents, teachers, other educational entity staff, and businesses or employers to ensure quality services for each student and provide information about Nebraska VR services.
* Attends Individual Educational Plan (IEP) meetings to gain understanding of student needs and update school staff on VR involvement.
* Records accurate documentation and case notes on all interaction with students to inform school staff and parents or guardians, as well as other VR staff.
* Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Rehabilitation Specialist Additional Functions:Including the functions above, Rehabilitation Specialists will also be responsible for the responsibilities listed below.
* Analyzes and integrates client medical and psychological reports and social, education, and employment information.
* Approves cases for client eligibility and Individualized Plans for Employment (IPEs).
Working Conditions and Travel:
This position requires approximately 40% of work time spent in an office environment (whether the state office or a home office), the remainder of work time is spent in the community. Employees may be asked, within reason, to use their own personal vehicles for travel. Qualifications / Requirements
Service Specialist: Bachelor's degree in a related field or bachelor's degree in another field and a minimum of two years of work experience related to the essential functions of the position.
Rehabilitation Specialist: Master's degree with emphasis in one of the following areas: Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, Counseling and Guidance, or another field that reasonably provides competence in the employment sector, in a disability field, or both.
Service Specialist:Bachelor's degree in related field and at least one year of direct experience working with, and advocating for, people with disabilities. Experience working with high school students and understanding of secondary school systems. Ability to manage high volume of cases and provide case management services while collaborating with teachers and other school staff.
Rehabilitation Specialist:Master's degree in related field and progressively responsible experience working with, and advocating for, people with significant disabilities. Experience working with high school students and understanding of secondary school systems. Ability to mentor others in managing high volume of cases and providing quality case management services.
* Thesupplemental "Questions" section of the application assists us in learning about specific, comparable experiences from each candidate. We can then use evidence-based equitable practices to determine candidates to move forward. In addition to the required Work Experience and Education sections, answering the supplemental Questions completely with requested details is highly encouraged. Each written response area has ample space to provide a complete response; due to screen size, we do not recommend filling out this application on small mobile devices.