|Published||January 17, 2023|
Apply to Job
Surfacing Designer, Industrial Design - Meta Reality Labs
Apply to Job
Location pin icon
Apply to Job
Meta's Reality Labs team is shaping the future of consumer electronics in the emerging Augmented and Virtual Reality industries. As a Surfacing Designer on the Industrial Design team, you will help bring our next-generation hardware and experiences to life. You want work within a small tight-knit team of Surfacing Designers so you can learn as much as possible about tangent/curvature/acceleration continuity, what makes NURBS be NURBS, challenge yourself to build complex forms cleanly and beautifully yet also manage the innumerable changes that will be asked for, and have the opportunity to develop production-ready geometry that captures the desires of Industrial Designers, Mechanical Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers and will live in millions of homes. You have a strong sense of manufacturing requirements, but also a good sense of design/aesthetics/flow in art, or photography, or automobiles, or boats, airplanes, etc. You love to build stuff, be it tinkering projects, or house renovations, or bicycles, or musical instruments, or cars, etc. You can "see" shapes in your head: imagine them, spin them, and express those shapes in CAD or words or clay, etc. You are able to be the paintbrush of the artist, the chisel of the sculptor - intuiting and expressing what they want. You are very capable of managing your time, energy, and kindness within ever-changing and often challenging work schedules.
Surfacing Designer, Industrial Design - Meta Reality Labs Responsibilities
* Support the development of category-defining products, helping Oculus/Portal/Meta change the world through design.
* Help define and refine the visual and physical language of our brand through the design of our hardware.
* Create and update 3D CAD surfaces and solid bodies to assist the product development process and for cross-discipline use.
* Create Class-A production-ready 3D CAD surfaces and bodies using PTC's Creo software across multiple projects and product categories.
* Utilize your good aesthetic and mechanical sensibilities to conceive elegant and effective solutions to complex geometric, ergonomic and mechanical challenges.
* Work collaboratively with multiple cross-functional teams on complex technical programs in a fast-paced environment.
* A Bachelor's degree or relevant experience in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
* 5+ years of professional experience as a 3D Modeler or CAD Surfacing Specialist, developing complex parts for industries such as automotive, consumer electronics, wearable tech, sports equipment, etc.
* Mid-level knowledge of a high-end parametric CAD surfacing software such as PTC Creo or Siemens NX, including "master/skeleton" modeling for highly integrated assemblies.
* Experience designing parts with consideration for plastic injection molding, CNC machining, and metal forming/casting/extrusion/stamping best practices.
* Experience managing complex part interactions and assemblies.
* Understanding of product architecture and internal component layout.
* Experience utilizing rapid prototyping techniques such as 3D printing and CNC machining to help validate part design.
* Experience utilizing anthropometric data to guide the design of products that directly interface with the human body.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today-beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].