|Date Posted||October 1, 2021|
The AR/VR system exploration team is committed to doing its part by developing technology and shipping the products that are necessary to make AR/VR compelling, pervasive and universal. We are currently seeking innovative and highly self-motivated scientists with experience designing optical systems and pushing the limits of physics. This is a full-time position and requires an advanced degree in optical sciences or engineering, physics, or similar, and a strong background in optical system design and innovation. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a dynamic cross-functional environment.
- Explore the vast design space available for AR and VR optical systems through literature research, design and prototyping using novel and conventional techniques and components.
- Identify key architectural options which significantly move the system performance needle in both AR/VR.
- Develop and analyze system and subsystem components that are specified to meet the needs of advanced AR and VR products.
- Perform detailed system level analysis such as optical performance, size, weight and power trades to predict system performance.
- Work closely with the internal mass production team to drive mature optical systems towards productization.
- Collaborate with internal research teams for adoption of emerging technologies.
- Masters degree or equivalent experience in the field of Optical Sciences, Optical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- Understanding of methods of modeling light behavior and propagation both in wave and ray domains as well as in mixed models.
- Significant experience maturing optical systems from proof of concept to early low volume prototypes or taking your own design into production.
- 5+ years of experience in applied research and/or product development of optics or photonic systems.
- 5+ years of experience with optical systems requiring any combination of the following: imaging, illumination, physical optics, stray light analysis, radiometry, photometry, holography and nano-optics.
- Solid foundation in optical design and modeling methods and tools for imaging and illumination systems.
- Solid understanding of the physics behind state-of-the art display technologies such as liquid crystal displays and organic light emitting diode displays.
- Experience working and collaborating in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience working without direction and managing virtual teams to bring together an entire system from concept to pre-mass production maturity.
- PhD degree or equivalent experience in the field of Optical Sciences, Optical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- 10+ years of experience in applied research and/or product development of optics or photonic systems.
- 10+ years of experience with optical systems requiring any combination of the following: imaging, illumination, physical optics, stray light analysis, radiometry, photometry, holography and nano-optics.
- In-depth knowledge of mass production of optical components and systems.
- Experience in opto-mechanical design and tolerance analysis.
- Experience in MATLAB or Python programming.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].