|Published||October 3, 2022|
Apply to Job
Optical Metrology Engineer VR
Apply to Job
Location pin icon
Sunnyvale, CA | Denver, CO | Redmond, WA+ 2 more
Apply to Job
The Meta VR optics team focuses on moving the state-of-art display and optical technologies forward for Facebook VR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The team is responsible for technology development and maturation, component design, novel manufacturing processes and metrology development, and system integration of display and optics for all Meta VR products. The VR optics team is looking for an experienced and driven Optical Metrology Engineer. The person will work with cross functional teams to define the requirements, lead the development, qualification and implementation of optical metrology equipment for characterizing optical modules and systems in VR products.
Optical Metrology Engineer VR Responsibilities
* Architect and design first of their kind instrumentation to measure the optical properties of optical display systems and components.
* Work with Applied Perception Science, Product Optical Engineering and Systems Engineering teams to understand what matters in the product from a performance point of view.
* Researching and inventing methods for measuring the optical properties of VR lens, module optics and eye tracking hardware.
* Architect image analysis algorithms for display color, brightness and non-uniformity characterization.
* Generate Intellectual property in novel optical instrumentation.
* Define, design and develop optical metrology solutions including hardware engineering, test software implementation, and instrument qualification.
* Develop benchtop and production instrumentation to characterize complex optical modules and integrated systems (display and optics).
* Collect and perform statistical analysis on metrology data to correlate to performance metrics.
* Explore novel optical metrology technologies and work with suppliers on prototype development.
* Take complete ownership of transferring metrology technologies from R&D to mass production.
* Up to 25% domestic and international travel required.
* In-depth knowledge of imaging optics, image quality metrics, optical metrology and characterization
* Knowledge of color measurement principles
* Experience synthesizing requirements for ill-defined problems
* Experience taking requirements and come up with novel methods for optical instrumentation, measurement techniques and algorithms
* Knowledge of geometrical and physical optics
* Hands-on experience in optical metrology development from concept to system validation
* Knowledge of optical imaging techniques
* BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 7+ years of experience or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 4+ years of experience
* Proficiency in statistical data analysis using Minitab or JMP.
* Experience in opto-mechanical design and simulation using SolidWorks, NX or other CAD tools, Zemax, Code V, LightTools, FRED or other optical design/simulation tools.
* Experience in computer vision metrics and techniques.
* Experience in test automation (instrument control and data collection) using LabView, MATLAB or Python. Experience scripting and prototype image analysis algorithms in MATLAB or Python.
* Knowledge of vision science and perceptual psychology.
* Communication and presentation skills.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today-beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
(Colorado only*) Estimated salary of $177,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits
* Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)