Doe/VR Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor – 48004803
|Published||February 25, 2023|
|Location||Fort Myers, FL|
Requisition No: 795931
Agency: Department of Education
Working Title: DOE/VR VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR - 48004803
Position Number: 48004803
Salary: $2,860.00 Per Month
Posting Closing Date: 03/09/2023
DIVISION OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION
LOCATION: FORT MYERS
VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR
Position Number: 48004803
Minimum Hiring Salary: $2,860.00
The salary may be negotiable dependent upon years of experience, education level and available salary rate.
Our Organization and Mission: VR's mission is to help individuals with disabilities find, maintain or advance in employment, and enhance their independence. As a part of the Department of Education, the agency connects people with disabilities to employment and businesses to a qualified talent pool of job-seekers.
Position Overview: Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is in the business of employment. Our agency has been committed to helping people with disabilities obtain, maintain or regain jobs that lead to meaningful careers. As a VR Counselor, you will determine which employment opportunities may suit clients' abilities the best. In this role, your duties will include determining clients' preparedness to enter the labor market, developing vocational rehabilitation plans, and assisting clients to achieve their employment goals.
This Advertisement may be used to fill current and future vacancies for up to 6 months.
This position works in Fort Myers as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
The Benefits of Working for the State of Florida: State of Florida employees enjoy top tier benefits offerings including comprehensive health coverage to meet the needs of you and your family while maintaining low deductibles and low monthly out of pocket contributions. State employees also enjoy the option of selecting between two retirement options, including the FRS Pension Plan and the FRS Investment Plan. As an additional benefit, state employment affords you the opportunity to take part in the tuition waiver program within the state university and community college systems.
For a more complete list of benefits, please click: https://www.mybenefits.com
Pay: $2,860.00 Monthly *The salary may be negotiable dependent upon years of experience, education level and available salary rate.
Your Specific Responsibilities: Counselors work includes:
* Evaluating clients' mental health, abilities, competencies, interests, experience, and education.
* Creating rehabilitation plans for clients taking into account individual strengths and interests.
* Creating Individual Plans for Employment (IPEs) in collaboration with physicians, physical therapists, and psychologists.
* Helping clients adapt to vocational challenges.
* Facilitating sessions with family members and caregivers to better understand and support clients' employment goals.
* Consulting with employers and other stakeholders to facilitate access to employment.
* Locating resources such as computer software, mobility aids, or community support.
* Identifying vocational training opportunities and assisting clients with job applications.
* Monitoring, documenting, and reporting progress, as well as changing rehabilitation plans accordingly.
* Keeping informed of advancements in vocational rehabilitation therapy.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: As a Counselor, you should be able to do the following with minimal direct supervision:
* Knowledge of the theories and techniques of counseling
* Knowledge of the principles and techniques of effective verbal and written communication
* Knowledge of the methods of compiling, organizing and analyzing data
* Knowledge of medical and psychological aspects of disability groups
* Knowledge of interviewing techniques
* Knowledge of basic computer skills and Microsoft Office
* Ability to interview clients in order to determine eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services
* Ability to compile, organize and analyze medical and psychological data
* Ability to provide counseling and guidance in the area of career planning
* Ability to develop individual vocational rehabilitation programs
* Ability to assess test results
* Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments
* Ability to communicate effectively
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
Candidate Profile Experience and Skills: As a counselor, you should be able to demonstrate your experience or skill in:
* Customer service
* Case management
* Experience working with people with disabilities is preferred.
* Ability to communicate in Spanish or Creole is a plus.
* Ability to communicate using ASL is a plus.
Education: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a field of study reasonably related to vocational rehabilitation and one year of paid or unpaid experience in business-related and/or rehabilitation-related fields. A Master's degree can substitute for one year of work experience. Acceptable degrees include:
* vocational rehabilitation counseling
* social work
* disability studies
* business administration
* human resources
* special education
* supported employment
* customized employment
* another field that reasonably prepares individuals to work with consumers and employers
For your application to be considered:
* All fields must be completed (dates of employment, supervisor name, phone numbers, addresses, etc.).
* Gaps in employment that exceed three (3) months must be explained in the application (unemployed, caretaker, etc.).
* Employment history must be in chronological order by date with the most recent employer first on the application.
Background Screening Requirement: It is the policy of the Florida Department of Education that applicants for employment undergo level 2 employment screening in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 435, Florida Statutes, as a condition of employment or being permitted to serve as a volunteer.
All applicants for employment or to volunteer who are selected for an interview will be provided with the Consent to Background Screening form for level 2 screening, the Affidavit of Good Moral Character, and the Notice of Rights. The leading candidate for employment or to volunteer will be required to execute the Consent form and Affidavit, report to a designated location, and submit fingerprints for level 2 screening.
No applicant for a designated position will be employed or permitted to volunteer until the level 2 screening results are received, reviewed, and approved by the Department.
Level 2 background screening shall include, but not be limited to, fingerprinting for statewide criminal and juvenile records checks through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and federal criminal records checks through the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and may include local criminal records checks through local law enforcement agencies
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Fort Myers
Nearest Secondary Market: Cape Coral