|Published||January 20, 2022|
Department: Training Technologies Department
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Product Development
PRIMARY FUNCTION OF THIS POSITION:
- Work on VR robotic surgical simulation games that are used by surgeons around the world to improve their robotic surgical skills. Join a team in collaboration that’s part of an organization that works every day to make progress on making a difference in the world.
- We are seeking an Art Director to lead our surgical simulation game visual and creative design efforts. This team is on mission to deliver high quality, highly effective VR robotic simulation content in the surgical environment on Windows OS.
- The successful candidate will have clearly demonstrable stories of leadership and self-awareness, in addition to Unity software development workflow design for scalable teams.
- This position is a leadership position within our team, so you will need to demonstrate clear, detailed examples of the following to be considered as a viable candidate:
- *Servant Leadership*
- A leader’s role is to clear a path for the team’s success towards its objective to support the business mission
- The strongest leaders don’t run from the truth, and our own truths are the toughest to face, so bring stories of how you faced yourself to transcend
- *Portfolio of Case Studies Demonstrating Leadership*
- The best leaders facilitate clarity and progressive change, as well as the reduction of friction between partners and stakeholders; be prepared to talk through case studies of how you’ve taken products from vision through release to provide clarity, progressive change, and reduction of friction in context of art direction
- *Servant Leadership*
- These are non-negotiable, so if you feel you have what it takes to engage in a thoughtful discussion of your experiences in all of these areas, read on and apply!
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You will own the simulation visual design language and creative design architecture leading a team of talented technical artists in the concepting, design, and production of in-game artwork and fx from early game prototypes to final production— creating a system of scalability that materially impacts our customers’ learning needs .
- You will be collaborating with the game design, engineering, corporate visual design team, and leadership counterparts for ensuring simulation learning products are both effective at meeting/exceeding learning objectives and learner engagement metrics, as well as uphold a high quality and engaging interactive experience .
- You will continue to refine the creative workflow and integration points with both the technical art team, as well as the game design and engineering team .
- Document and maintain the evolving game art and fx language for simulation learning products as the single source of truth to ground ongoing and future product work .
- Work with management and leadership to adapt the team workflow and model through upcoming phases of change .
- Set example to others through your own behavior to others for leadership, accountability, tenacity, and adaptiveness
- Minimum 5 years hands-on CG art and design experience in the gaming industry throughout all phases and aspects of current VR 3D game development, with minimum of 2 years in a creative or art director position working on published titles and 2 years of experience working on VR title.
- Exceptionally strong critique, coaching, and guidance skills—you will need to demonstrate crisp articulation of observations and framing in communication that is actionable for the receiving audience.
- Exceptionally strong architecture and organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of VR render pipeline constraints within both of Unity’s URP and HDRP—especially important is demonstrating how to balance and share compute resources between art and physics to deliver engaging experiences.
- Demonstrated collaboration with technical art, game design, and engineering partners to support the delivery of coherent, impactful, and scalable game art and fx language.
- Demonstrated ability to work with engineering team to jointly prioritize engineering tasks for the support of a high-quality end-product.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in directing a geographically distributed team.
- Experience delivering to market published game titles.
- Demonstrated adaptability and flexibility in working with an evolving workflow.
- Fluent experience using JIRA, Confluence, Slack—in addition to the usual suite of office software.
- Portfolio of work showcasing roles both hands-on and as creative or art director.
- Creative problem solver.
- Passion for playing games.