|Date Posted||September 12, 2018|
Cloud Services Engineer
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Cloud Services Engineer (CSE) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the cloud services platform. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
The CSEwill bring practical knowledge, technical depth and strong virtual computing and networking support to Advanced Services; firmly focused on the implementation and support of virtual computing platforms and associated technologies to support new product development, innovation and research. The CSE will also be responsible for implementation and support of various IT Security products and services.
The qualified individual should be able to work both in a cooperative team environment as well as individually to both virtual computing platforms and the associated physical environments for network and Data Center applications. Ability to provide support for customer facing engagements and Tier 2/3 functionality within both a development lab and production environment(s) is also expected. A strong degree of creative, “out of box" thinking, flexibility to expand oneself outside of the job description, attention to detail and self-motivation are required. The candidate must also possess strong communication skills to broker inter-department engagements and leadership ability to accomplish company-wide objectives. Additionally, ability to define and document complex designs and architecture standards is mandatory.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Engineering of CSE-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as new virtual server platforms per contracted terms
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Identifies and works on a broad range of difficult problems, exercising independent judgment and using methods and techniques that are consistent with current relevant practices and policies. Proficient at anticipating or discovering customer needs; presenting options and solutions that add value and are consistent with policies, procedures, and business processes.
- Support and define the administration of Open Source Operating Systems, RHEL, Solaris, Windows servers, etc…and the addition and deletion of user accounts, machine builds and installs, file system and volume creation/management, hardware and OS additions and changes, system monitoring, planning and engineering standards, capacity planning and resource management.
- Troubleshoot technical issues with a wide range of systems and applications such as SQL, VMware, File servers, Exchange etc… Create process documentation and deliver training on various technical topics.
This job will have no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-5 years’ experience required in IT related technologies or an equivalent years of experience in a related field.
- Associates or technical degree with 5+ years’ experience and relevant certifications, or an equivalent years of experience in a related field.
- 2-5+ years of experience in relevant IT technologies with emphasis on production support of high capacity mission critical enterprise systems.
- General understanding in the design and implementation of data center facilities consisting of infrastructure, hardware and software systems within Tier3/4 data center Standards, as well as, security, storage, and compute for standalone data center hosted applications as well as virtual and private cloud solutions.
- Strong recent technical experience with VMWare vCenter / ESXi version 5.1+ or other VMware solutions
- Enterprise Level Backup and Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Operating systems – Microsoft Windows server 2003-2012, Linux (various)
- In-depth knowledge on SAN devices, scalability constraints and design.
- In-depth knowledge on server hardware, scalability constraints and design.
- General knowledge on network devices, scalability constraints and design.
- Background in blade server environments; Cisco, HP or Dell.
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Microsoft Exchange environments
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Microsoft SQL
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Active Directory
- Any scripting language experience to monitor system performance on myriad of data center infrastructure/environment.
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Vmware - VCP5-DV, VCP6-DV is highly desirable
- Microsoft - Recent MCSE or MCSA; MCITP in Server Administration, Exchange or Virtualization desirable
- Cisco - CCNA, preferred
- Demonstrated working knowledge in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel & PowerPoint).
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong background in Windows/Linux clustering and standards based designs and strong technical experience with VMware ESX(i).
- Must have the ability to work in a fast changing environment and flexibility to adapt. Ability to expand oneself outside of their “comfort zone." Must stick to the standards and plan for the hardware to meet the business requirements for the next 3 to 5 years
- Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into designs; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail and provides support to internal and external customers relative to system administration, internal processes and practices. Attention to detail and a focus on developing and delivering a solution within the confines of business requirements is a must.
- Daytime schedule; occasional work nights and weekends.
- May require working alone.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work - Exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, functions and tasks.
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Requires alignment with the Company’s F.A.S.T. Values
- Fierce Resolve – be Focused, Determined, Overcome the toughest challenges
- Aloha Spirit – Heartfelt, Kind, Serve with warmth and humility
- Superior Service – Exceptional, Extraordinary, Strive to provide the very best
- Trustworthy – Honest, Reliable, Make promises a reality
- Work may be performed at various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires considerable standing, sitting, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates.
This job description provides a general description of the common duties performed by a person in this position. It does not include every possible duty an individual in this position may be asked to perform and is not all-encompassing. Jobs also may require “other duties as assigned" and such assignments are considered part of this position’s job assignment. This job description is provided as a general summary and does not constitute a contract for employment, and does not in any way alter Systemmetrics’ employment-at-will relationship with any employee in this position.